Re: Funnelling newcomers to Fedora Join: taking over newbie group membership

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 07:50:31 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I think it's worth a try... I'm not sure how effective it will be, but
> we should definitely try things and see if we can do better than we are
> now. :)
>
> How can we measure if it's a success or not?

It really depends on what sort of detail we want to analyse it in. A
simple metric will be the activity on the fedora-join channels, and the
number of newcomers we temporarily add to the new FAS group.

For a more detailed measure, we could see what the average time between
membership to this group and to a team is. There's lots more we can do
*if* we have the manpower (at the moment, we don't).

I don't know how we'll compare it to the existing processes, though---we
haven't had metrics traditionally on onboarding or I'm not aware of
them.

I'm personally only looking at increasing activity in the Join SIG
channels, concentrating newcomers there where they can be helped in one
place and where they can make friends and get comfortable before diving
into teams and tasks. I especially don't want to make elaborate plans
and major overhauls---they don't tend to go anywhere simply because we
don't have the manpower or run out of it before anything substantial can
be done. The idea is to make the smallest tweaks to existing processes.

If at all possible, please comment on the ticket so the discussion
remains in one place. I wanted to let infra know so that if we do
request a new FAS group and take over the "wikiedit" workflow, it
doesn't come as a shock :)

--
Thanks,
Regards,