Re: Funnelling newcomers to Fedora Join: taking over newbie group membership

On 7/21/19 1:46 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've written a proposal here[1] to move to a more people-centric workflow
> for newcomers. The idea is that instead of asking newcomers to dive in
> to tasks as we do now, we'll make them get to know the people in the
> community first. You can read more on the ticket.
>
> As part of this, we were hoping to set up an FAS group for newbies, and
> let the Join SIG add newcomers to it while they find their teams and
> tasks of interest in the community.
>
> In this workflow, infra would no longer have to maintain the wikiedit
> group as they do so now. It really shouldn't be infra's job in the first
> place :)

Well, the wikiedit group was meant to be a 'catch all' for people who
don't want to contribute to any specific group, but wanted to help edit
things on the wiki in some area. It was always intended that new
onboarding remove any requirement to edit the wiki before people were
members of the group.

The entire thing there is anoying... pesky spammers. :)

> What do we think? Please leave your comments on the ticket. The plan is
> only a proposal and will change as we get more feedback from the
> community.

I think it's worth a try... I'm not sure how effective it will be, but
we should definitely try things and see if we can do better than we are
now. :)

How can we measure if it's a success or not?

kevin