Re: What causes newly registered account on fas to be spamcheck_manual?

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:22 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 23 February 2018 at 08:01, Zamir SUN <zsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Infra team,
>>
>> This week two people reached me asking about logging into Pagure. Both
>> of them tried to register on FAS, but they are automatically set as
>> spamcheck_manual immediately after they registered and even cannot login
>> to sign CLA/FPCA. As far as I know, one of them is using gmail and
>> another is using a emain from their own domain - I think it's not caused
>> by main domains.
>> So I want to know if there are certain rules that we don't know, or
>> spamcheck rules which users from China might easily get into?
>>

> I need more information than that to be able to debug the problem..
> like the actual email names and the accounts that they tried to open.

Hi Stephen,

Yes, one of them agrees to public the details. I checked FAS and can
see the account is "Awaiting manual spamcheck"
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/view/icenowy

The other man simply did not reply my message yet.

> One heuristic that has been tripping up people is where they have a
> large set of numbers in their accountname. The spammers use bots which
> put long streams of numbers in their account names as in
> <zue<randomishnumber>> <zue<randomnishnumber+X>>. This allowed them to
> know which spam farm and ad campaign they are going to use as all of
> zue<> get Printers while anil<> get Pills and greg<> might get
> Antivirus tech support. So our heuristics were looking for accounts
> with long numbers as a higher score.  However this breaks down for
> some countries where the numbers may mean something or are required
> because bob8888 is chosen a lot so bob88881001 bob88881002 would be
> given out. We can work on this but we will need some data on who they
> were.

I wonder if this is not their case - both of them did not use any
numbers in usernames. So I'll wait for you debugging then.

Thanks in advance!

> Please extend our apologies and thank them for their patience.
>

>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Ziqian SUN (Zamir)
>> GPG : 1D86 6D4A 49CE 4BBD 72CF FCF5 D856 6E11 F2A0 525E
>> Want to know more about Fedora?
>> Visit https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
>> Ready to contribute? See https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/
>

> --