Re: What causes newly registered account on fas to be spamcheck_manual?

On 23 February 2018 at 08:01, Zamir SUN <zsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Infra team,
>
> This week two people reached me asking about logging into Pagure. Both
> of them tried to register on FAS, but they are automatically set as
> spamcheck_manual immediately after they registered and even cannot login
> to sign CLA/FPCA. As far as I know, one of them is using gmail and
> another is using a emain from their own domain - I think it's not caused
> by main domains.
> So I want to know if there are certain rules that we don't know, or
> spamcheck rules which users from China might easily get into?

I need more information than that to be able to debug the problem..
like the actual email names and the accounts that they tried to open.

One heuristic that has been tripping up people is where they have a
large set of numbers in their accountname. The spammers use bots which
put long streams of numbers in their account names as in
<zue<randomishnumber>> <zue<randomnishnumber+X>>. This allowed them to
know which spam farm and ad campaign they are going to use as all of
zue<> get Printers while anil<> get Pills and greg<> might get
Antivirus tech support. So our heuristics were looking for accounts
with long numbers as a higher score.  However this breaks down for
some countries where the numbers may mean something or are required
because bob8888 is chosen a lot so bob88881001 bob88881002 would be
given out. We can work on this but we will need some data on who they
were.

Please extend our apologies and thank them for their patience.

> Thanks!
> --
> Ziqian SUN (Zamir)
> GPG : 1D86 6D4A 49CE 4BBD 72CF FCF5 D856 6E11 F2A0 525E
> Want to know more about Fedora?
> Visit https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
> Ready to contribute? See https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/

Stephen J Smoogen.