Re: State of the Review Server (Fresque)

On 05/02/2017 04:03 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AB> My questions are: should we drop it? Rework it? How high a priority
> AB> is it really?
>
> Well, I think we would really use... something.  The current bugzilla
> based "experience" is basically a mess we've all learned to work around
> (or given up on) and I still feel bad for new contributors who have to
> struggle with it.  But really, the whole process needs an overhaul and
> something that simply codifies the existing process probably isn't the
> best way to spend your free time.

Agreed on all points.

> A workflow built around pagure and various other pieces of
> infrastructure like copr and taskotron which could give some measure of
> automatic builds and error checking would be incredibly great but I have
> no idea how possible it is.

I think it could be quite possible, and might be more doable once we
have the pagure pkgs frontend in place, etc.

> Then we'd just say "package submissions go into this namespace in pagure
> and get hooked up to automated builds and tests and whatnot".  Add a way
> for prospective reviewers to see those submissions and some mechanism
> for a reviewer (with privileges) to approve a package for inclusion.
> Then it's just a simple matter of figuring out how to get the approved
> package into the distribution.
>
> But again, I have no idea if any of this is actually possible.  I do
> know I'd be able to do a heck of a lot more reviewing work than I do now
> (which is basically zero) if I could so things like:
>
> * Click through a pagure listing that shows me just the package which
>   are actually building and ready for review
>
> * See everything right there, including a spec file, current rpmlint
>   output and things like taskotron checks
>
> * Make quick comments on the spec file
>
> * Star a repo so it shows up in the list of packages I did review work
>   on (so I don't forget)
>
> And a whole lot of that seems to be a mashup of what pagure and copr
> already seem to do.  Anything that encourages drive-by reviewing and
> incremental improvement of submitted packages while hiding packages
> which aren't at the point of building properly is a huge plus in my
> opinion.

Yeah. Part of this sounds like it could just be a PR against a new
pagure "New Package" or something, which could get you spec and comments
and jenkins builds, but likely is still missing things, but I wonder if
we couldn't get something that wasn't any worse than bugzilla this way. ie:

* Get pagure in front of pkgs.
* create a new namespace (they are all the rage these days right? :)
called 'proposed packages' or something with only a rawhide branch)
* Have a special pagure project called 'proposed packages' for tracking
things.
* User submits PR with spec+patches
* have some small gate here where someone acks a proposed spec (for
legal, etc).
* The PR is committed, builds in koji, then taskotron runs checks on it,
jenkins runs checks on the spec+patches.
* Reviewer checks those things, adds comments/problems, submittor fixes
them.
* Finally Reviewer acks PR and it gets added to normal rpms namespace
(with git history).
* proposed-package version is closed/retired in favor of the new one.

This might get us somewhere leveraging pagure and jenkins and taskotron.

kevin