Re: Mapping FAS groups to Pagure groups

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:35:29AM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> So, since trac is about to well.. kick the bucket.. in a few months and
> we're all looking to migrate to Pagure, I was wondering if there's a
> possibility of mapping FAS groups to Pagure groups - just to make group
> management easier? I'm administrating the free-media and join groups
> wit relatively fewer members, but groups like packagers are much larger
> I'd think and would benefit from this?
>
> pingou said there was a config that could enable this already, but he
> suggested this be discussed here on the list to see if it should be
> turned on.

So there is indeed the possibility of relying on ipsilon for groups instead of
doing the group management in pagure itself.
However, turning on this setting will have two consequences:
- All the existing groups and their members will be rendered void (as in, I am
  part of the rel-eng group on pagure but not in FAS, so I will loose my
  membership there, the monikra group does not exist on FAS, so this will pretty
  much go away)
- For membership to be available to pagure, people will have to log out and log
  in again. Group info being provided at login time, if you're sponsored into a
  group while being logged in, you'll need to re-log in for pagure to be aware
  of this membership (same thing if you are removed from a group, which is
  potentially a little more annoying)

These are the reason why this setting hasn't been turned on despite being
available in pagure.

> I do think there's an alternative, btw. Although, I haven't looked into
> it's implementation yet: a script that uses the FAS and Pagure APIs to
> sync group memberships - group admins can do this from time to time?

We could cook up some utility script to sync groups from FAS to pagure and let
group admins use it as it pleases them.

Pierre