Re: Proposal to mirror Docker images

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 10:49:15AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Randy Barlow wrote:
>
> > In summary, the proposal is to write a patch for the docker client that
> > will give it the capability to accept metalink responses upon docker
> > pull operations. We would also need to add support for Docker images to
> > mirror list and mirror manager. Additionally, we will need a small tool
> > to pull the content to be mirrored out of a docker registry and write
> > them to disk in a format that can be mirrored, as well as some Ansible
> > code to run the tool when there is new content to be mirrored.
>
> Related to this, I think it'd be useful to target public IaaS (AWS, GCE, etc.)
> for inside-infra mirrors.  Basically we want Fedora images to hit a S3 bucket in
> the region or equivalent by default for content.  This is how Amazon configures
> Amazon Linux.
>
> It seems like the kind of thing that we could ask Red Hat for sponsorship.

This already happens for EPEL:

$ curl -s "https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-7&arch=x86_64&ip=52.3.178.0"; | head -2
# repo = epel-7 arch = x86_64 Using preferred netblock Using Internet2 country = US country = CA
http://s3-mirror-us-east-1.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/7/x86_64/

We are currently syncing EPEL to the following S3 regions:

s3-mirror-us-east-1 s3-mirror-us-west-1 s3-mirror-us-west-2 s3-mirror-eu-west-1 s3-mirror-ap-northeast-1

So, it sounds doable for an additional target (like docker images).

		Adrian