Re: [Second Draft] Proposal to mirror Docker images

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 01:53:23PM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Do the old ones need to be kept around for GPL and other compliance?
>
> No, as long as we have a way to trace back from a given image to its
> source components, which the system does, and as long as we don't throw
> those away, which we don't.
>
>> How does one get the source code of what XYZ image is and XYZ+1 image?
>
> Handwavy something that Adam can probably explain. :)

XYZ and XYZ+1 images will be a sum of their parts, the parts will all
originate from Fedora and will all persist in Fedora just as they do
today. This is why we're not allowing non-Fedora content into our
Docker Layered Images because how to solve this with content
originating from third-party sources has not yet been figured out.

Effectively, DistGit will maintain the Dockerfile and scripts git
history, the builds with logs and content generator metadata imported
manifest of the layered image contents will remain in koji. We will be
able to reproduce each Docker Layered image if we ever had to since
the content all originates from Fedora's dnf repos combined with koji
and the docker namespace in DistGit. So for any given Layered Image
and it's corresponding Docker tag (which in this case corresponds to
it's version), we will be able to look back in koji+DistGit and find
what is required to reproduce, then reproduce (if necessary).

-AdamM