Re: [Second Draft] Proposal to mirror Docker images

On 24 August 2016 at 18:25, Randy Barlow <bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello! Based on the responses I've received so far, some new
> information I learned about Docker's Manifest v2, and discussions in
> #fedora-releng, I would like to propose this second draft of the
> proposal to mirror Docker images. Thank you for reading, and please do
> voice your thoughts!

OK my major concern with mirroring Docker images are the following:

1) How many images?
2) How large are these images?
3) How often do they change?

Mirrors are a volunteer organization and most of them have only about
a 1-2 TB  of space they can put up for mirroring. The regular
distributions are already hitting that so the larger the amount we use
the less they will carry.

Also depending on how large the images are this will impact how long
they can get data from us. The images will take time to move out to
the mirrors.. the larger the image the longer it takes to mirror. The
more churn on the disks the more it affects all the other projects who
are being mirrored.

Asking mirrors to run additional software is usually a non-starter
unless that software is being used by multiple projects. [We still
have mirrors who are still only able to allow FTP out of their sites,
and many are run by student sysadmins who are constantly changing so
their bosses want anything to basically 'run itself']
--
Stephen J Smoogen.