Re: Builds from git repo with unpacked sources

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, how does this work? Does it make the repo from the sources in
> lookaside each time? or does it (optionally?) replace the lookaside
> sources entirely?

I am only vaguely familiar with how rel-eng tools works so I am not
entirely sure. However, it seems to me that support for this was
implemented on build system side. I've tried scratch-build and it went
fine but local mockbuild failed for me, complaining that dist-git repo
is missing sources file. Also, buildSRPMFromSCM task that was created
for my scratch build contained checkout.log where I could see that
build system checked out my git repo and then it created tar archive
that was subsequently gzipped and used to build src.rpm (observed in
mock_output.log)

Here is workflow from packager perspective, i.e. what was necessary to
do to successfully build a scratch build. Packager drops sources file
from dist-git repo and instead adds source-repos file. It contains
link to git repo and commit hash (on one line separated by
white-space), Source0 in spec file then says
<package-name>-{%commit_id}.tar.gz (commit_id is usually defined as a
macro). Once you've set up git repo with exploded sources and
downstream patches on top of that then you can delete all patches from
dist-git and from spec file.  In my case it was also necessary to
update invocation of %setup macro.

> We would want to get approval from releng/fesco, but if it's not too
> much work to add in, it might be fine.

I don't know how much code is needed to implement this, because I
couldn't find a commit introducing this functionality internally.

> Are there any docs on how it works, etc?

I found an internal wiki page about this feature.

Michal