Re: Builds from git repo with unpacked sources

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 14:02:39 +0200
Michal Sekletar <msekleta@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> this is my first post to Fedora Infrastructure list, allow me to
> quickly introduce myself. My name is Michal Sekletar and I work for
> Red Hat. I co-maintain systemd in both Fedora and RHEL. Also I am
> Fedora user and contributor for more than 5 years now.
>
> Some of you probably know that Red Hat's internal infrastructure
> (dist-git and build system) has a lot in common with what is available
> to Fedora packagers. Recently, internally they introduced very nice
> feature that might be also useful to Fedora packagers. It is the
> ability to build packages from exploded sources. Packager no longer
> uploads tarball to lookaside cache and maintains patches in dist-git,
> but points rhpkg (internal equivalent of fedpkg) to git repo that
> contains exploded sources with downstream patches applied on top. This
> allows for easy cherry-picking of patches between branches and a ton
> of other nice features that make maintainer's life easier.
>
> I briefly talked about this with Ralph at Flock. He suggested that I
> send an email to this list where we can start the discussion if this
> is something we want in Fedora, and in case yes, how to get there.

Welcome! and thanks for the post. ;)

So, how does this work? Does it make the repo from the sources in
lookaside each time? or does it (optionally?) replace the lookaside
sources entirely?

We would want to get approval from releng/fesco, but if it's not too
much work to add in, it might be fine.

Are there any docs on how it works, etc?

kevin