Builds from git repo with unpacked sources

Hello everyone,

this is my first post to Fedora Infrastructure list, allow me to
quickly introduce myself. My name is Michal Sekletar and I work for
Red Hat. I co-maintain systemd in both Fedora and RHEL. Also I am
Fedora user and contributor for more than 5 years now.

Some of you probably know that Red Hat's internal infrastructure
(dist-git and build system) has a lot in common with what is available
to Fedora packagers. Recently, internally they introduced very nice
feature that might be also useful to Fedora packagers. It is the
ability to build packages from exploded sources. Packager no longer
uploads tarball to lookaside cache and maintains patches in dist-git,
but points rhpkg (internal equivalent of fedpkg) to git repo that
contains exploded sources with downstream patches applied on top. This
allows for easy cherry-picking of patches between branches and a ton
of other nice features that make maintainer's life easier.

I briefly talked about this with Ralph at Flock. He suggested that I
send an email to this list where we can start the discussion if this
is something we want in Fedora, and in case yes, how to get there.

Cheers,

Michal