Re: Hackfest on ansible repo during flock this summer ?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:18:47AM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:41:44AM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so as people know, the ansible repository is quite old. Fedora was one
> > of the first big public ansible user, and as such, has a rather huge repo.
> >
> > And going where no one has gone before has the downside of not being
> > able to build on others people experience with the new tools, resulting in
> > sometime less optimal solutions, or using older patterns, or just regular
> > bitrot. And as people have seen on the list, I did sent a few patches
> > for refactoring and cleaning things around as I did explore the repo,
> > but I think it would be more efficient to work on that as a team.
> >
> > Therefor, I would like to know who would be interested by a hackfest during
> > flock this year. The idea would be to focus on improving existing playbooks.
> > And among the tasks, we could have:
> > - convert tasks who are not to be roles (example, 2fa)
> > - start using dependencies among roles (example, collectd, fedmsg)
> > - move from yum modules to packages (to handle the yum to dnf change)
>
> I had a discussion with Toshio on IRC a while ago and the package module isn't
> actually *the* answer to all our use-cases. For the simplest cases it will work,
> but for example if we want/need to interact with repo (for example adding
> infra-testing) then it won't work.
> So a playbook like the upgrade_package one, is not really convertible to the
> packages module :(

My proposal is only to cover things along those lines:
https://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ansible.git/commit/?id=9cea8170d4eabf19d5268b6f04aead48e0ad2f8e

ie, instead of having several variation on "package installation', just have one so
playbooks are shorter and more idiomatic.

And looking on https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/yum_module.html vs
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/package_module.html show that indeed, there is
a bit more options in yum modules that the generic wrapper :)

> That being said, for roles where we only install packages, porting from yum/dnf
> to packages should work,
>
> > - remove things < F21 (or EL 6 when applicable)
> > - move handlers, vars, files to role (or role arguments)
> > - move cronjob declaration to cron module (since currently, cron is not reloaded,
> > so changes are not picked)
> >
> > and I think that alone would keep us busy.
> > That's most of the time small tasks, so that would scale well to any number of participants,
> > and with a low complexity, so open to everybody.
> >
> > I already did the proposal before the end of the Cfp, but I kinda
> > forgot to send a email about it.
> >
> > Any people besides me interested ?
>
> I think it's a good idea. Eventually we could tackle a few of these during
> technical debt fighting weeks as well.

In a ideal world, we could also start to write some doc on the best practices,
or improve ansible-lint to push people to follow those guidelines.

Also, I can't really make sure I would be present for a technical debt fighting week, while
I would be present for flock :)

--
Michael Scherer