Re: ask.fp.o feedback link and emails

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 06:20:23PM -0500, Alick Zhao wrote:
> As an ask.fp.o moderator, I occasionally received emails from its
> feedback link, and I believe other moderators should experience the
> same. It seems like the emails are mostly asking questions, especially
> on login issues. However, I do not know the answers, and even if I
> know, there is no way to reply the questioner since the email came
> from nobody@fp.o ... In my mind, it is better to change the feedback
> link to something that directs the user to mailing list or IRC, so
> that it is more likely to be answered. Any idea?

I wanted to set up a "meta.ask.fedoraproject.org", but the software
apparently didn't support that easily, so I wanted to set up a mailing
list specifically for that meta discussion, but there was resistance to
that too, and nothing happened. I've become increasingly frustrated and
disenchanted with Ask -- I like the idea, and some awesome people are
doing great stuff in helping users with it, but we're pushing uphill
against the askbot engine and webforum culture norms (as opposed to Q&A
site norms).

I wonder if we could, in the future, replace it with an Ask Fedora hub,
using the new Fedora Hubs software and a combination of

  - a help mailing list with hyperkitty

  - a help-meta mailing list for this kind of discussion

  - an irc channel with Hub widget for realtime help

  - a link to the future new short docs system (and possibly a realtime
    search_of that as the most obvious thing on the page, with a "can't
    find an answer? ask here!" button)

  - a button which submits good question/answer pairs (or even IRC
    conversations) to the docs team for cleanup and "ingestion" into
    the short docs system

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>