Re: non free builders

On 25 February 2016 at 17:56, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2016 05:37:25 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> So, we pride ourselves on having a 100% free and open infrastructure
>> software wise. However, we have had some exceptions (the autocloud vbox
>> test machine, etc).
>>
>> For f24, the plan is to make workstation downloads at least prefer to
>> download a usb media creator, and then that downloads the images,
>> verifies them and writes them to usb in a sane/best manner.
>>
>> Producing the Fedora/linux version of this is no problem, it's just a
>> package.
>>
>> However, windows and osx are a different matter.
>>
>> For windows, we could run a windows vm and attach it to koji (it
>> supports windows builders I think). This would of course mean that we
>> would need to run a windows builder vm. ;( Or we could have a isolated
>> hw instance that we only power on for windows builds.
> Koji does support windows builds. Not sure what exactly we need to do to
> script the build but the way itw orks is using a linux host it clones a lvm
> snapshot spins up a vm and does the tasks inside of the vm. It then shuts it
> down and removes the snapshot. We then just have to manage the master snapshot
> used and do not have to have a windows machine up 24/7. Though we may need
> something to do the binary signing
>

>> For osx, I don't think you can virtualize it at all, and koji has no
>> support, so we would need to have an isolated osx instance available
>> for building the osx media creator. (possibly only running on demand).
>
> Koji does not support osx but I was told the amount of work should not be too
> much. Afaik we can not virtualise it at all and would need to run a OSX box

No we can not legally virtualise OSX without OSX hardware. [You can
frankenstein it but that violates various agreements and not going to
happen here.] A mac mini in a shelf is probably all we need for this.
Locking it down so it doesn't end up being a base of operations is a
bit of work but not too much.

>> We could of course just say: sorry, no non free oses in our
>> infrastructure, but I fear this will result in builds done ad-hock on
>> someones test machine that aren't reproducible or all the other things
>> we expect from products we release. ;(
>
> I am sure if we say no that is exactly what will happen. In the short term I
> am pushing to make those test machines be boxes/vms at my desk but that is not
> long term sustainable
>

>> Mostly this is just a heads up, but if anyone has ideas, feel free to
>> bring them up. ;)
>
> Thanks, and as ick as it is, the goal is noble, make it easier to run get
> fedora up and running.
>
> Dennis

Stephen J Smoogen.