Re: non free builders

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 05:37:25 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> So, we pride ourselves on having a 100% free and open infrastructure
> software wise. However, we have had some exceptions (the autocloud vbox
> test machine, etc).
>
> For f24, the plan is to make workstation downloads at least prefer to
> download a usb media creator, and then that downloads the images,
> verifies them and writes them to usb in a sane/best manner.
>
> Producing the Fedora/linux version of this is no problem, it's just a
> package.
>
> However, windows and osx are a different matter.
>
> For windows, we could run a windows vm and attach it to koji (it
> supports windows builders I think). This would of course mean that we
> would need to run a windows builder vm. ;( Or we could have a isolated
> hw instance that we only power on for windows builds.
Koji does support windows builds. Not sure what exactly we need to do to
script the build but the way itw orks is using a linux host it clones a lvm
snapshot spins up a vm and does the tasks inside of the vm. It then shuts it
down and removes the snapshot. We then just have to manage the master snapshot
used and do not have to have a windows machine up 24/7. Though we may need
something to do the binary signing

> For osx, I don't think you can virtualize it at all, and koji has no
> support, so we would need to have an isolated osx instance available
> for building the osx media creator. (possibly only running on demand).

Koji does not support osx but I was told the amount of work should not be too
much. Afaik we can not virtualise it at all and would need to run a OSX box

> We could of course just say: sorry, no non free oses in our
> infrastructure, but I fear this will result in builds done ad-hock on
> someones test machine that aren't reproducible or all the other things
> we expect from products we release. ;(

I am sure if we say no that is exactly what will happen. In the short term I
am pushing to make those test machines be boxes/vms at my desk but that is not
long term sustainable

> Mostly this is just a heads up, but if anyone has ideas, feel free to
> bring them up. ;)

Thanks, and as ick as it is, the goal is noble, make it easier to run get
fedora up and running.

Dennis