Re: Additional account with read DB access

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 10:03:15AM +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hmm yes I could create the users in Mailman3 even if they never sent an
> email in the new system. But I may have a better idea, here's what I could
> do:
> - get the old emails from Mailman2's mboxes and the new emails from Mailman3
> - strip the non-text content
> - replace email addresses with hashes to hide them
> - generate mboxes or maildirs
> Since your tool works with mboxes (maybe maildirs?) that would give you
> something you could import and run stats on. Would it work for you? Am I
> missing something security-wise or privacy-wise?

I can actually _already_ get hyperkitty to give me mbox files, and
those have the original, non-munged email addresses anyway.

It actually _would_ be useful to have access to non-munged login names
so I can cross-reference mailing list activity with dist-git, bodhi,
etc.

The problem is that this tool is kind of unwieldy, and it takes a long
time and creates fairly big local database. I was thinking it'd be
easier to just have access to the native, existing database and I can
figure out how to translate any existing sample queries to get the
results I want. (And also, share those queries, because as more people
move to mailman3, they might also want to do the same things without a
separate tool.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>