Re: State of python3 in our infrastructure

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 01:24:45PM -0700, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 12:14:42PM +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > Good morning everyone,
> >
> > I would like to start gathering our thoughts about python3 in our apps.
> >
> > To my knowledge, we currently have two applications that are python3 (only):
> > - Mailman3 core (as in hyperkitty is still py2)
> > - mdapi
> >
> > Both are *not* running via apache/mod_wsgi. MM3 runs on RHEL7 while mdapi runs
> > on a Fedora node for the moment.
>
> What are they using instead of apache/mod_wsgi?

In both cases (Aurélien correct me if I'm wrong), they are just exposing an API,
REST for MM3, JSON for mdapi.
I don't know for MM3, but mdapi is async, which cannot be handled by apache
afaik, we would need nginx or something if we wanted some sort of proxy.
So at the moment mdapi runs with the web-server provided by aiohttp and is
started via `systemctl start mdapi`.

What I wanted to highlight with this section is that despite having already 2
apps running python3, neither are "classic" nor following the traditional scheme
of web-app/apache/mod_wsgi, which means when we deploy our first py3 apps under
this scheme, we'll need to figure these things out, we can't rely on existing
implementation.

Pierre