Re: Migration to HyperKitty / Mailman 3

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 19:42:26 +0100
Aurelien Bompard <abompard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> Since it's Friday evening, I just unilateraly decided to migrate all
> the lists to Mailman3 without telling you anything in advance... Nah
> just kidding :-)
>
> However, I think the best time to migrate the rest of the lists would
> be the week before Thanksgiving. That would give me some time with you
> all around to fix the most urgent problems, and time for me during a
> week with less activity in the US to fix the lower priority ones.
>
> Some lists are still using the two features that are not yet ported,
> namely the filters and the topics. Those lists would stay on the
> current server for now, but migrating the rest would still be an
> improvement. This would mean migration would start on November 16th.
> What do you think?

I think that sounds good.

I know it's hard to estimate times, but perhaps we could look at
migrating all of lists.fedorahosted.org (aside the ones that use
filters and topics) first on the 16th, then start on the
lists.fedoraproject.org ones after that? Or keeping a status on the
wiki might be nice so people know where we are.

Is there any news on when the filters/topics support might appear?

Overall it looks good, but I'd rephrase it a bit:

> The Fedora Engineering team has been working on a new system for our
> mailing lists. Mailman 3 came out earlier this year and it has a new
> shiny web UI: HyperKitty.

The Fedora Hosted lists will be migrated on November 16th, and the
Fedora project lists later in the week. After migration you should be
able to use the new hyperkitty UI to post and read the lists if you
choose or continue to get emails in the traditional way.

There may be some changes in some headers, so if you filter your list
emails be ready to adjust your filters. (See wiki page below for
details).

Some lists using mailman2 features not yet available in mailman3 will
be migrated later. (See above wiki page for a full list).

More information as well as current lists migrated, being migrated and
deferred for migration can be found at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailman3_Migration

If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the infrastructure
list: infrastructure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

> Am I missing important information? Feel free to reword things if they
> are not clear or if it's just bad style.

We should add a status section on the wiki with lists migrated, lists
not yet migrated, lists waiting for features and perhaps lists
currently being migrated. Then people can just look there for status.

Thanks for working on this!

kevin