Re: Upstream for dist-git [RFC]

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:42:44 +0200
Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Adam Šamalík took dist-git files from fedora-infra ansible.git. He
> separated what belongs to dist-git itself and what is Fedora specific
> and with cooperation of Dan Mach and Palo Babinčák he created
> upstream for dist-git:
>
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git
>
> This is first attempt and request for comments.

Great idea/work. ;)

> The changes from ansible.git version are described here:
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git/blob/master/changes.txt
> and he extracted some code to be configuration driven:
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git/blob/master/configs/dist-git/dist-git.conf
>
> Feel free to experiment with this project and we are looking for your
> questions and comments.

Will try and find time to do so.

> I have one question thou:
> There is no license information in files header but two files:
>   scripts/httpd/upload.cgi - GPLv1
>   scripts/dist-git/pkgdb_sync_git_branches.py - GPLv2+
> Everything else is without license.

All the work in the ansible repo should be covered under the FPCA, so
without any explicit license I would think it would be MIT. We could
see about getting a list of folks who worked on it and getting them to
put it under GPLv2+ if you like. Or we could just stay with MIT?

> Can I assume that we can realease the code under GPLv2+?
> The author of upload.cgi seems to be Kevin F. - Kevin, are you
> willing to change license your file to GPLv2+ so we have uniform
> license across all files?

I did not author that file. ;)

It was written by Jesse Keating in 2010. We could try and contact him I
suppose?

> Future plans:
>  1) Listen to your initial feedback and do alternations according to
> your feedback 2) After license clarification, announce this project
> to Red Hat and CentOS rel-engs and ask them to merge their changes of
> dist-git to this upstream. 3) Get this package into Fedora
> distribution 4) Change Fedora dist-git server to use this package.
>  10) Enjoy the benefits of common upstream.

:) Excellent.

kevin