Re: 2-Factor Authentication for private repos?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:17:52 +0200
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Xavier pointed me to this article this morning [1] about the
> kernel.org infrastructure now requiring 2-Factor Auth on the git of
> the kernel.

Yeah.

> We were wondering if this is something that would be worth
> considering for the private repos -main has access to.
> I am leaning towards yes it would be nice, but I do realize that it
> would prevent someone from changing passwords (pushing to the repo),
> not reading/using them (assuming they could clone the repo).
>
> Thoughts?

Well, our private repos are all on lockbox01... so I'm not sure it
makes much sense to do much there.

I think it would be nice to explore making our dist-git more secure.
Not sure all our package maintainers would put up with the setup they
are using at kernel.org, but perhaps. Note that that just allows you to
whitelist the IP you are using. If someone can get a IP thats already
whitelisted they could still use that to attack, and if they compromise
the maintainers machines they could use the existing whitelist to push
whatever.

Another thought we have had in the past was to setup things so commits
need to be signed. We could have a hook to check that the commit is
signed by the key they list in fas. Again this wouldn't help a
compromised maintainer machine probibly, but might be interesting.

I guess the highest level here would be just to require ssh key and
2factor auth to push dist-git commits. That might really annoy
maintainers that push lots of commits though.

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

kevin