Re: Atomic status

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 08:43:30 -0600
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18 July 2014 07:40, Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I feel like things aren't moving forward quickly enough with Atomic,
> > both on the Docker base image side and the rpm-ostree host side.  A
> > lot of that is to be expected - we're trying to introduce *two* new
> > ways to deliver software beyond RPMs at the same time.  It's quite
> > nontrivial.

Sorry it's going slower than you would like. ;(

...snip all the stuff I agree with from smooge...

> Let's look at blocking issues for Atomic in Fedora:
> >
> > - Having rpm-ostree be run as part of nightly compose

I think the plan here was to get a koji plugin?

Mathieu Bridon wrote a koji plugin for us to do mashes in.
We also know of another more generic plugin that lets you do 'commands
in a chroot' type of things, but it's not clear on it's licensing.

Perhaps we can see if Mathieu can rework the koji plugin as a 'run
commands' type of thing and we can use it for atomic and also for
rawhide/branched?

I'm not sure there's a way to do this in the mean time, I guess we
could spin up another compose host have it it just run from cron...

> > - Content mirroring
> >   * Server with SSL, some level of redundancy
> >   * Open question around how often/when composes are done, and how
> > much history is retained

We can setup something with dl.fedoraproject.org now... and adjust as
we go?

> > - GPG signing
> > - Method of having Koji/ImageFactory pull mirrored OSTree repository
> > content to compose ISOs
> > - MirrorManager integration (no code written on ostree side yet)
> >
> Most of the above are also in grumpy areas of infrastructure where
> adding a person to fix it means they will need to learn a lot of
> other things before it works well or doesn't snag up something else.
> It would be good to add a person, but don't expect an instant win but
> more instant pain in doing so.

Yeah. Of course adding people to these areas could also be a long term
win, as then we have more people who know them. But it's not a magic
fix.

kevin