Re: Setting up GitLab for fedorahosted.org

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:02:24 +0300
Axilleas Pipinellis <axilleas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cross posting from Ruby-sig:
>

> Hello everyone! It's been over a month since I last wrote to this list
> regarding the GitLab project.
> I managed to make a blog post of the story so far[0], any feedback
> welcomed :)

Just a few things. ;)

1. I think we should stop saying this would replace fedorahosted or
change fedorahosted directly. I think very likely we would want this to
be a new service all it's own and those people who find the features it
offers compelling could switch to using it or start new projects on
it. :)

I think some projects would really like the gitlab git handling and
issues tracking would be enough for them. Others would prefer the
current fedorahosted trac and download space and such. I could see
gitlab also being much more used for incubating new projects and then
when they are more stable they would also want a fedorahosted space for
the other items.

2. we looked more at gitlab recently, and one difficult thing is that
it's not so geared for public access. They did add a thing where it
will now show a page for public repos with http cloning I think, but
aside from that it's very set for all users to sign into it.

https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/issues/2549

There are patches around to add a 'guest' user that can look around and
see things, but upstream doesn't wish to merge them. See:
https://github.com/cjdelisle/gitboria.com/commit/61db393bfd4fc75c5f046f01b01c7f114f601426
https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/issues/12

Without those patches things are a bit strange for our use case. We
want people to be able to view and see everything, even if they don't
have an account.

I'm not sure if we would want to carry those patches in our package or
come up with some way with upstream to apply them conditionally or
something. Someone suggested plugins ability could be used.

Anyhow, just my thoughts... thanks for working on this!

kevin