Re: Fedora pastebin server (sticky-notes) - move to staging

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:13:28 -0600
Clint Savage <herlo1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...snip...

> > Is there any ongoing maint we need to do with sticky-notes?
>
> Probably any php security issues should be watched. We do use a mysql
> database for this application, so probably good to keep that backed up
> from time to time. The only other maintenance is updates to
> sticky-notes. I suspect we'll probably want to purge the pastes at
> some point in time, so there might be a need for a cron job to do such
> a thing.

ok. I would expect it to grow pretty slowly. Text should compress
pretty well in the db I would hope.

> We should probably investigate and document the best configs for the
> Project Honey Pot configuration. I also understand that Fedora Project
> will need an account at http://www.projecthoneypot.org/httpbl_api.php
> to use the honey pot.

I'm a bit leary of using a external service like this.
Perhaps we could wait and see if we need to use it, or if the other
spam controls are sufficent?

> I'm a big fan of https://paste.fedoraproject.org but
> http://fedoraproject.org/paste is fine as well.

Does this service keep any cookies or require any fas login?
I would guess not...

> What value would this gain us? I suppose if a ton of people were
> visiting a specific paste right after it was posted, we could see a
> performance benefit.

yeah. if 50 people hit the same paste it would be cached at the
proxies.

> I took a look last night at fpaste and was able to hack it to work
> with the development version of sticky-notes. From what I can tell the
> old fpaste.org did things differently in terms of return details and
> such. I'm planning on submitting the patches upstream today.

ok.

> The fpaste client is written to work specifically with fpaste.org and
> not much else. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I just don't know
> if it would be better to just create fedpaste and have it provide
> fpaste or something like that going forward. I think I want to ask the
> maintainer of fpaste how they would like to proceed and see where we
> go from there.

ok. Sounds good.

kevin