Introduction

Hi,

Looking at the wiki it says to introduce myself.

Well here goes...

I'm married with 3 kids (aged 4, 2, 1 :D)... full time job but I do get time to spare surprisingly!!!!  I love my family to pieces they mean the world to me.

I've been working in IT for 10yrs now all in a Microsoft DOS / Windows based environment, starting with development in FoxBASE and FoxPro and moving through the versions to visual fox.  I've not attended university but have never had a problem with reading / googlin' bits to learn new things; I do get quite a kick from picking up "new to me" technologies and helping to solve problems.

Currently I work full time as a Visual Studio developer with Technology Management Ltd. in the UK developing .NET applications for the WinCE / Windows Mobile based mobile device market.  Those applications are mainly written in C# but we do have a significant VB.net code base.

Following the latest Microsoft based OS crash at home a rebuild has become necessary which I started this weekend - yesterday in fact, so I made the choice to make Linux my main OS; to be fair it should've been from when I dabbled with Fedora 7 and 8 thereafter... still... my foot has gone down, and my wife is scheduled a tour of Fedora at the weekend ;)

I have recently bootstrapped myself to other languages C / C++ and php for web work I'm finding this interesting to say the least.  I do have some experience with Apache and MySQL (obviously the strong knowledge I have in Internet Information Services and SQL Server have been somewhat transferable).  It looks like I need to add python to the list of things to learn and this is something I've been mulling over so may just make that leap.

From all of that I'm hoping you can tell that whilst I have very little experience with 'nix environments I am keen to learn just need some guidance on where to go to pick that up.

Away from PC's (if there ever is such time) I play guitar - well I play guitar, banjo, and mandolin to be honest.  The last two I'm not so hot at but I can "hold my own" - to coin a phrase - on the guitar.  I also love to read; and have - of all things - recently started dabbling in magic and performance thereof but... now I'm rambling :D

I look forward to helping in whatever way I can.  I'm looking for a good place to start, I'm obviously following the wiki, reading up when I can, and of course getting my own Fedora environment setup (although I do have one running in VirtualBox at work to satiate the 'nix desires whilst I'm at work :D).

I'm am currently hoping to help in the sysadmin-devel FIG.

So hello nice to "meet" and greet, and I hope you're well.

Lee.