Re: puppet and our test boxes

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 09:23 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
I'm going to have all of our publictest and test boxes use puppet with the 'global' template. This will keep them in sync with FAS, SNMP, syslog, all that good stuff. Any objections?

Sounds good.  Will puppet allow us to see what's been changed from the
baseline config as well?  So that it's easier to tell what things we
need to take with us when we migrate a service from testing to
production?

-Toshio
Yeah, on first run it logs to syslog. In addition it makes a backup of any file it replaces and stores the file on the puppet server. One interesting thing to note is package and service requirements. Lets say I need to deploy nrpe and nagios-plugins on a box so I can monitor it. If I say that /etc/nrpe.cfg requires nrpe to be installed and running and that it requires nagios-plugins-disk (to monitor the disk) it will automatically install them and start them. Which, if used properly, is a very nice feature.

   -Mike