Re: Call for a Fedora I18n meeting

Hi,

Jens Petersen wrote:
Ryo Dairiki さんは書きました:
    - Font configuration for Java.

We hope the situation will improve with openjdk.  Do you have some ideas how to improve font configs for current java binaries packages?

It requires another configuration for Japanese users, as there is no Japanese fonts written in the default configuration.
There seems some configuration for RedHat 8.x, but the they use Kochi-fonts instead of Sazanami-fonts.
In Japanese Fedora Community, there are so many post about proper font configurations of Sun's JDK.
(Kochi-fonts are the most famous Japanese fonts in Open Source Society, but they have some license problems.
Sazanami-fonts are clones of Kochi-fonts basically, but they replaced some glyphs to solve that issue.)

There are some problems involved in this area.
  1. Sun's Java v.s. GCJ. (And Iced-tea in the Future)
  2. Packages from JPackage, and Sun's site.
  3. Fontconfig, and old X11 core font library.
Talking about 1, there are some people want to use Sun's Java instead of the default GCJ Java.
Related to 2, they usually use the binary directly downloaded from Sun's site or the rpm packages from JPackage,
which has no proper font configuration for Fedora.
I think asking JPackage's members to bundle a proper configuration with their packages is not so difficult,
but it seems like most Japanese tend not to use the package from it,
instead they mainly use the binary from the Sun's site.
This is mainly because Japanese Unix-related magazines tell them to do so.
Even for Tomcat, which is already included in Fedora, they try to run it on Sun's Java only because they don't know well.

Talking about 3, there are some people who install optional Japanese fonts by their own,
and who complain that they cannot use them in Java.
Thanks to Fontconfig, they can use it on normal Gtk or Qt applications easily.
However, Java's AWT still use X11 core font library, which is so difficult to use
(and have some well known bugs) in Japanese locales.
I think AWT's font engine should be replaced by the new one which uses Fontconfig and Xft as a backend.
(Sorry for such a long off topic talking)

    - Japanese specific tex sub packages.

I think they could probably go into Fedora if someone is willing to package them.  What is the current status of Japanese TeX projects.  Is pTeX still actively maintained?

No, it has not been maintained for the long time, and still don't support UTF-8.
I will ask the Japanese TeX users about the detailed information of the current Japanese TeX related packages later.

    - Language specific packages should be firstly reviewed by local people.

Yes if it helps to have Japanese speakers to do initial (pre)reviews then I think it is a good idea if it encourages people to submit packages, but the final reviews still need to be done in English in bugzilla.

I agree.
I think such packages should be reviewed in the local community first, then send to English Bugzilla for the official reviewing steps.
However, the Japanese Fedora Community (called Fedora-JP) is not so active for now,
so they cannot provide infrastructures for local reviewing processes.
Maybe, I should rather create another community rather than wasting time by discussing here. :(

+ Localized bugzilla

It would be good to have bugzilla translated probably, but I don't know of any plans for that.

    - Collecting information in local languages. (Not only bugs, but also desires)
>     - Later send translated bug-reports or patches to upstream.
>     - Maybe, translator should be assigned for each bug report then.

I don't think we have enough resources to do that in bugzilla.redhat.com or within the main fedora project but if some "ambassadors" or mediators can help with this it would be useful I think.  They would need to have a good working understanding of both sides.

I think the members for them should be provided from local communities.

Do you know Mozilla Japan (http://www.mozilla-japan.org/) and Mozilla-Gumi (http://http://www.mozilla.gr.jp/)?
The former one is the official Japanese site for Mozilla,
and the latter one is the most famous unofficial Japanese Community for Mozilla.

The Mozilla-Gumi has its own Bugzilla in which users post bug reports in Japanese.
The bug reports are reviewed by Japanese developers (or senior users),
summarized, and finally posted to the official Bugzilla by a developer in the community.
I think we can look after these mechanisms.

The power of the local (and unofficial) community is very important.
As a Japanese, I think reorganization of the Japanese local (and unofficial) community is the key to improve the situation.

+ Localization QA
    - QA members for every language, mainly for input methods.
    - QA members may send their reports to localized bugzilla to prevent regression.

This is a really important issue IMHO: how to improve i18n quality in fedora and how to work with Fedora QA on this.  We should open some dialogue with the QA team on this I would say and make some plans for i18n QA.

Thanks, Jens

Almost the same as the above.
The most important key is the relationship with the local community and QA team (or i18n team), I think.

After all, now I know what I should do to improve these problems.
I will try to convince some members in Fedora JP in the near future.
I would like you, I mean people in Fedora i18n and Redhat, to support us that time.

Regards,
Ryo Dairiki <ryo-dairiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>