Re: Default variable fonts in Google Noto

Le vendredi 12 juillet 2019 à 14:11 +0900, Akira TAGOH a écrit :
> Hi,

Hi

> I'm planning to write a Change proposal for things as subject, to
> have
> more variants and styles without increasing disk spaces and/or to
> reduce disk spaces.
>
> We have a few languages or someone who potentially be impacted by
> this change.
>
> - Sinhala
> - Punjabi (from f31 AFAIK)
> - In case Noto has already been installed and explicitly used in
> applications.
>
> Does anyone has any concerns on this change?

I hadn't planned on touching Noto Sans (yet) but is would be nice if
each noto (sub) package was fixed to merge properly all the per-script
language bits in a single Noto Sans font family. There's no reason for
Noto Sans to eat half the font list in apps, breadown in multiple files
is a technical artefact, not a functional one.

That is not incompatible with shipping Noto in multiple packages, as
long as each package includes the correct fontconfig rules to merge its
part of Noto in the main family when installed.

(and yes the "merge font" syntax in fontconfig is overly awkward and
verbose, I intended to pester you about it sometimes later:))

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot