Re: urw-base35 fonts - request for exception

Nicolas,

what should be the structure of the package(s) if we would decide to go for the "meta-package" to include all the fonts?

If the meta-package should be some subpackage, it could cause more problems than solving them. Lets say we have the fonts divided into subpackage, and here's the scenario that can be quite common:

New user to Fedora wishes to install all the fonts of the 'urw-base35-fonts' package. So, he/she installs the package 'urw-base35-fonts', but it would only install license files. He/she thinks the fonts have been installed, but they actually are not creating confusion, and possibly generating unnecessary asking at forums/stack overflow/etc. and unnecessary frustration from using Fedora. This would be basically caused by following the FPG no matter the cost.

So, if I'm supposed to divide the font families into subpackages, here's the only structure that is IMHO viable to use and which I'm willing to "implement":

* 'urw-base35-fonts' - by itself an empty "meta" package that requires all its subpackages - if the user would install only this package, he/she would get all the fonts (and license files)
* 'urw-base35-fonts-common' - an actual subpackage containing the license files - this would be required by 'urw-base35-fonts' and by all other subpackages
* 'urw-base35-<font_family>-fonts' - subpackages that could be installed on their own, if user wishes just that font, and would require only the 'urw-base-fonts-common' in order to comply with licensing

In this way, we would have the font families divided to subpackages, as required by FPG, and if the user would want all of them, he/she would just install the "main" "meta package" 'urw-base35-fonts'. And maintainers who require all the urw-base35 fonts by their packages, they would need to just require the 'urw-base35-fonts' as well.

Is this solution okay with you guys? I think it should comply with the FPG, but maybe I overlooked something. If so, please let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,

David Kaspar [Dee'Kej]
Associate Software Engineer

Brno, Czech Republic

RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
Every airline in the Fortune 500 relies on Red Hat.
Find out why at Trusted | Red Hat.