Re: Showing fonts in GNOME Software

On 15 October 2014 20:32, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I wanted to decentralize the storage of font metadata used in
gnome-software. I would be appreciative of any comments to this
article: http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2014/10/15/gnome-software-and-fonts/
-- Once any big issues are ironed out, I'll send that to
devel@fedoraproject for comments.

I am with you regarding having font metadata packaged with fonts. It will be good to get font represented in nice way AT gnome-software.

While going through metadata, i found situation is bit familiar with fontconfig (.conf) files in font packages. As per font packaging guideline fontconfig file is mandatory for each font packages.

1. I think best way is to improve packaging guideline and make font metadata also mandatory. Provide some nice templates. Report bugs again fonts and see how many responds and patch for remaining.

2. Existing fontconfig files added by font maintainer in font packages does not have any Copyright or Licensing.  IMHO good to keep things easy and avoid dual licensing.

Best Regards,
Pravin Satpute

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fontconfig_packaging_tips