Re: Using TT_NAME_ID_SAMPLE_TEXT

Le Mar 11 mars 2014 05:05, pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :

>> > Is there any precedent here? Like a Punjabi version of "How quickly
>> > daft jumping zebras vex" that shows off the majority of the glyphs?
>>
>> pango_language_get_sample_string().
>>

> This is what i used most of the time for generating sample text.
>
> In lohit2 presently we are not adding "sample text" into Naming table but
> looks worth doing it. I will add it in coming releases of it.

That works fine for simple single-script fonts. I'm doubtful we will find
a satisfactory pre-filled text for big multiscript font.

The "correct" workflow that limits massive work duplication and
auto-adapts to font changes would be for the app displaying the text to
select the appropriate sample in a database like
pango_language_get_sample_string depending on the locale the app user is
currently interested in, and for pango_language_get_sample_string to base
its sample on a query of coverage and opentype features of the font. I'm
not sure if pango pangrams try to exhibit ligatures for example even
though they are a very desirable feature from a font design point of view.

(and that gets us back to the way our desktop sucks and still uses input
method switchers instead of a locale switcher that infers input method
from desired locale and user preferences like windows does since around
windows 95).

And of course once this has been nicely automated we can add a macro to
pre-fill automatically TT_NAME_ID_SAMPLE_TEXT at font package build time
so the font degrades gracefully in an environment where pango is not
present (just like ttf-autohint can be used to "fix" fonts for
fontconfig/freetype-less environments)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot