Re: Using TT_NAME_ID_SAMPLE_TEXT

Richard Hughes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking a couple of things -- is TT_NAME_ID_SAMPLE_TEXT specified
> anywhere? I'd expect it to contain something like "How quickly daft
> jumping zebras vex" but I wanted to check that was indeed the kind of
> thing it might show.

Yes, it's in the OpenType specification:

https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/name.htm

which just says:

"Sample text; This can be the font name, or any other text that the
designer thinks is the best sample to display the font in."

> The seconds is really asking why so few fonts actually use this
> metadata item :) Would it be possible to add these in at package build
> time, as showing something like "Sample text" using Lohit-Punjabi.ttf
> doesn't make sense at all.

I think the Latin-centric view is that any standard English pangram is
reasonable, so they don't supply it. Non-Latin scripts would really
benefit from some good sample text.

As the font packaging guidelines now require us to make font metadata
corrections for licence-related strings, meaning you'll see more font
packages using tools like ttname, it isn't a big leap to suggest that we
also supply readsonable sample text, and suggest that upstream include it.

--
Paul Flo Williams
http://hisdeedsaredust.com