Re: Local patching of fonts

On 6 December 2013 00:01, pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx <pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5 December 2013 17:59, Paul Flo Williams <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> 1. FontTools/TTX, which can convert a font into XML and back again.
>> However, Petr reports that it currently crashes on Open Sans[3], and we
>> have no smart way of verifying that the "To XML, patch, compile to TTF"
>> cycle produces a font that performs at least as well as the original.

Why is this? You can ttx both files and diff them :)

Crash could be because of the old version. Behdad is now actively
maintaining a fork of the project -
https://github.com/behdad/fonttools/ - which may not crash.

> I have done same in Liberation fonts 2.00.1 to fix Monospace bit. Works
> quite well. [x]

:)

>> The problem of embedding flags is now being addressed by the packaging of
>> a simple tool called "tt
> In Fedora we do recommend to build fonts from sources as patching source
> .sfd is an efficient method. But we get number of upstream releases only
> with source so dont have option. Having script to fix ttf metadata is
> definitely going to help to number of projects.

In https://github.com/xen/fontbakery/ the developer is landing a
commit in the next few days to build fonts from TTX source in addition
to the current UFO workflow; and another developer, Franke Trampe, is
working a lot on FontForge's UFO support this month.

--
Cheers
Dave