Re: Local patching of fonts

On 5 December 2013 17:59, Paul Flo Williams <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1. FontTools/TTX, which can convert a font into XML and back again.
However, Petr reports that it currently crashes on Open Sans[3], and we
have no smart way of verifying that the "To XML, patch, compile to TTF"
cycle produces a font that performs at least as well as the original.

I have done same in Liberation fonts 2.00.1 to fix Monospace bit. Works quite well. [x]

x. https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/liberation-fonts.git/plain/scripts/setisFixedPitch-fonttools.py

The problem of embedding flags is now being addressed by the packaging of
a simple tool called "ttembed" which just touches OS/2.fsType and
checksums, nothing else.[4]

Thats great and very useful.

The proposed method would be to write a very simple recipe for the font
changes, like this:

recipe.txt:

  OS/2.fsType=0
  OS/2.panose=4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
  name.1.0.0.1="Letters Laughing at Their Execution"
  name.1.0.0.2="Regular"
  name.1.0.0.4="Letters Laughing at Their Execution"
  name.3.1.1033.1="Letters Laughing at Their Execution"
  name.3.1.1033.2="Regular"
  name.3.1.1033.4="Letters Laughing at Their Execution"

and apply it with:

  $ ttpatch recipe.txt LettersLaughing.ttf

Yes, in long term increasing the scope can help lot.

In Fedora we do recommend to build fonts from sources as patching source .sfd is an efficient method. But we get number of upstream releases only with source so dont have option. Having script to fix ttf metadata is definitely going to help to number of projects.

Regards,
Pravin Satpute