Re: feature proposal for handwriting font realism

Metrics are not critical to the programming, because the event of auto-assigning would happen only once to a character at a given position in a string and that assignment would not change unless the graphic designer either did so manually or reapplied the whole process. Metrics could be permitted to vary because a graphic designer would likely look at the result (with any character widths, any heights including ascenders and descenders, any variations in x-height, any amount of openness of loops, and so on) and adjust as appropriate by changing glyph assignments or by other means, just as they might adjust leading now, and just as a secretary checks that a memo isn't one page plus only one word on page 2. Someone could design a multiglyph font in which all glyphs for a given Unicode code point would have, say, the same character width and the font marketer could promote the convenience of consistency, but I doubt that that's important even as a perceived
 selling point. This is not like my spreadsheet with a randomizing function such that whenever I open the spreadsheet it generates new numbers. Instead, a user would command auto-assigning of glyphs to selected text or to input but, by default, once assigned no more auto-assigning would occur, and then the user would inspect for aesthetics, fit, and any other criteria, confident that it wouldn't change unless the user wants to change it.

Print would be the main purpose, although the display system should make a reasonable effort at WYSIWYG accuracy of the assigned glyphs, just as displays now distinguish between Garamond and Times even though the distinctions are more precise in print. Definitionally, I assume print includes things like movies shown in theatres or on big-screen TVs, since just the scale of those displays allow more accuracy of rendering.

I don't know enough to suggest how to design this within FreeType or Fontconfig or both or neither.