Re: Fixing glob2

Hi,

On 03/13/2011 06:01 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> glob2 includes a single ttf file that I can probably replace with a symlink to
> dejavu sans. Based on a an upstream discussion about an aborted switch to a
> nonfree font, I suspect the font is free, but is there some way to check?

What I usually do is install fontforge and then:
fontforge foo.ttf

Then go to the Element menu and select font info (or press ctrl+shift+f),
usually you can find some more info about the origin there.

 > The
 > font name in the source is just sans.ttf which isn't very revealing. I haven't
 > stumbled across documentation on where the font came from yet. Is there a tool
 > that can report the source from the ttf file? If I can't find the source of the
 > font, should I strip it from the source tarball?

If you cannot determine the origin of the font, yes you should strip it from
the source tarbal. If you can and it is a Free font, usually I just remove
the file from the package and replace it with a symlink. Unless it is a game
specific Free font distributed only together with the game, in that case
I create a sub package for it using the font package guidelines as usual,
make the main game package require the font subpackage, and still put
a symlink in the original location (as the font subpackage will have
the font under /usr/share/fonts/...). See for example freeciv.

Regards,

Hans