Re: What happens if a package includes non-free fonts already?

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/18/2010 12:06 PM, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Unless I read the thread wrong openfontlibrary.org will return. Also I see
>>> no reason to drop packages just because there upstream is gone.
>>     Current fonts guidelines asks for using foundry name in font
>> package. If based on initial import where upstream URL is no longer
>> exists but its allowed to use that and use oflb as foundry name then I
>> am more willing to work on it.
>
> Ok, so this is about the rule of having a foundry name in the font package
> name. I think that it is fine to keep using oflb as foundry name for fonts
> which were initially packaged as such. Esp as the openfontlibrary.org site
> will return to normal operations in some time AFAIK.
>
>  >     Please tell me if this is ok. If you think its ok I will submit
>  > new, to be renamed packages for package review.
>  > If this is not ok then let those bugs be open forever.....
>  >
>
> I don't think that the fonts need to be renamed again and again and again,
> lets just pick a name and stick with it. Note that I'm not really a font guy
> though.

I assume we need to include foundry to make sure that we can make
difference between various publisher sites that provide same font. It
can happen that a font published by openfontlibrary.org will no longer
show again but it can be found on ctan repository which can be same or
updated font.

If we are going to keep same name for font package then I don't think
we can get latest updates for it. (Note: I yet to find such case in
Fedora) I am too of not the opinion to rename fonts again and again
but there should be some guidelines that will address this issue.

Regarding openfontlibrary.org issue, fonts published there are not
deployed on new server yet and not sure when will it happen in future.

Parag.