Re: Opening up of various fonts by google

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Nicolas Spalinger
<nicolas_spalinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Flo Williams wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> I noticed Google has recently launched its google font directory. As part
>>> of this they have negotiated the opening up of various previous not
>>> completely open fonts. Here a list of fonts which we have not yet packaged,
>>> and which are not on the wishlist either:
>>
>> [snipped list]
>>
>> There seems to have been a flurry of packaging activity on these over the
>> past week. I am slightly concerned that some of them don't seem to be
>> following the naming guidelines for font packages.
>>
>> As an example, OFL Sorts Mill Goudy seems to have been rushed from first
>> packaging to release in just six days, but there is no foundry name,
>> although Google seems to be treated as upstream for this and several other
>> fonts.
>>
>> Are we going to start using "google" as a foundry name, or take the
>> original source of these, where possible?
>>
>> Paul
>

> I recommend going to the upstream website for various open fonts
> currently in the Google font directory, there are upstream URL links in
> the METADATA files.
>
> Also for packaging in Fedora you probably want the full version (with
> more extended sources) and not the web-optimized version in the root
> folder of the hg repository.
>
> The structure of the upstream hg repository is being reworked and
> reorganized with the goals to fix some metadata bugs and unneeded files
> who have slipped it and move closer to the recommended ). I recommend
> waiting a little bit for that to settle before doing packaging.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
> Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
> http://planet.open-fonts.org

Thanks all for your replies. I am willing to fix those packages if
they are needed to be renamed. Please tell me or open new bugzilla and
I will rename them. I do have plan to package remaining fonts but I
think then I will wait for some more time then.

Packages from above list which are now in fedora are
tangerine-fonts
lobster-fonts
josefinsansstd-light-fonts
crimson-text-fonts
molengo-fonts
ofl-sorts-mill-goudy-fonts
cardo-fonts

should foundry name for these be upstream website names? or
googlefontdirectory or just google?

If it should be from upstream then I will choose following names (also
will pull latest fonts from website given as now googlefontdirectory
is changed within week)

tomagiri-tangerine-fonts -> not found any url
typemade-josefinsansstd-light-fonts->http://typemade.mx
aldusleaf-crimson-text-fonts ->http://aldusleaf.org/
moyogo-molengo-fonts ->http://code.google.com/u/moyogo/
crudfactory-ofl-sorts-mill-goudy-fonts->http://home.comcast.net/~crudfactory/cf3/index.html