Re: Does anyone know of any remaining users of the Type1 fonts?

The same can be said about OpenType CFF fonts. There are some minor
improvements in hinting between Type 1 and Type 2 (CFF), e.g. flex
hints, but the mechanism is largely the same. Type 1 or CFF fonts work
quite well in a PDF viewer, because you usually use larger point
sizes. But they don't work that well as UI fonts, which is probably
what you mean.