Re: Does anyone know of any remaining users of the Type1 fonts?

Le mercredi 03 septembre 2008 à 15:29 -0400, Jim Gettys a écrit :
> Last I knew, all they would do (on the screen) was make for an ugly
> screen, as we haven't had a decent Type-1 font renderer....
>
> Anyone have any knowledge of anything current that uses type-1 on the
> screen?  On paper?

There was some discussion on the subject at the end of last month, all
the gory details should be in the archives.

But anyway, IIRC:

1. the most user-visible Type1 holdout are the GhostScript
PS1-compatible fonts. We ship them in many forms/versions, they should
all be hunted down and replaced by the OpenType GUST TEX Gyre fonts,
*IF* someone manages to convince the GUST guys to straighten out their
licensing (ie not relicense GPL material under their pet license just
because they like it best)

2. TEX in general seems a multi-font-format (including PS1) swamp. I
don't despair of the TEX guys doing some massive draining, but right now
the situation is not pretty.

3. and you have all the people who've spent fat sums of money on
proprietary Type1 fonts, and are belately realising that computer
formats are not eternal and they've invested in perishable goods (but
they'd love to postpone their fate some more)

Personnaly I feel that if 1. was taken care of, there would be some
pressure on 2., and 3. is a lost cause anyway.

--
Nicolas Mailhot