Re: [fedora-electronic-lab] Who is on board for FEL ?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 09:04:56AM +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> First, there is a Fedora Board email which asks spin owners some
> questions because Fedora for some reason wants to have a target
> audience. I'm severely behind all my mailing lists emails, to
> understand why now Fedora cares about some specific target.

There are several audiences being addressed, by different subsets of
the Fedora Project as a whole.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board#Strategic_Philosophy

> I thought
> Fedora was "make it happen, help others achieve something and provide
> quality opensource solutions". What I fear is surely microelectronics
> engineers will not be a target audience so would Fedora Board provide
> the same support to us (FEL contributors)

The goal is not to restrict what Spins, and other efforts which are
aimed for more specific audiences, do.  The Board, and other teams
(rel-eng, Infrastructure, design, and the proposed Engineering Support
team), have been trying to _increase_ the kinds of supporting
capabilities they can provide to all parts of the project.  But the
supply of resources is not inexhaustable - at some point, some amount
of allocation is necessary.

Thus far, Spins, including FEL, have explicitly been allocated fewer
Project resources (hosting, design team, marketing) resources than the
Project's default offering, Fedora Desktop.  This isn't to say Spins
are not important - they are.  But in many ways, Spins are expected to
"fend for themselves".

Now, is this working as anticipated?  That's the root of the questions
I posed.  Through Spins in general, and FEL in particular, are we
growing the Fedora contributor base?  Are we growing the adoption
base?  What are the impediments Spins are facing to doing these
things, and what specific, targeted steps can we, as a Project, take
to remove those impediments?

For example, Fedora Infrastructure is already working on adding formal
hosting for Spins (FEL is already hosted at
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/spins/FEL - other spins will be
added soon), possible through using our Infrastructure budget to
purchase some fairly expensive storage to accommodate our growth.
This comes at an opportunity cost - that money could have been spent
several different ways (additional pressing and mailing of media,
travel sponsorships, paid-for polo shirts for Ambassadors, ...) - all
worthy in and of themselves, but at some point a priority call has to
be made.  That's what we're trying to do a better job of, and looking
for your input.

Thanks,
Matt