Re: Allowing Class-Path in MANIFEST.MF

On 10/7/21 16:14, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 10:01 AM Didik Supriadi
<didiksupriadi41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, I feel like this should be allowed in any case? I think most Devs
only add Class-Path manifest attribute when they need those particular
JAR to run their codes.

Or are there any cases beffore that this is not allowed?
I don't know the reason for disallowing Class-Path. This rule existed
before I became a Fedora packager (year 2012). But I remember some
people used to have a strong opinion against Class-Path in Fedora
packages.
$ rpmlint -I class-path-in-manifest
class-path-in-manifest:
The META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file in the jar contains a hardcoded Class-Path.
These entries do not work with older Java versions and even if they do work,
they are inflexible and usually cause nasty surprises.

Ah, I think the "hardcoded" part is the reason why.

So.. it should be alright if Class-Path is determined with, for example, `build-classpath`, right?

--
Mikolaj