Re: jansi 2.x and jline 3.x

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 4:46 AM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to keep jacop in Fedora.  It is in danger of removal, due
> to the orphaning of scala.  I've taken a look at keeping scala in
> Fedora, and updating it to its most recent version; see:
>
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jjames/scala/
>
> One issue is that recent scala needs jline 3.x (we have 2.x in
> Rawhide), and jline 3.x needs jansi 2.x (we have 1.x in Rawhide).
> Neither is backwards compatible with its previous major version.  I
> have made jansi 1.x/2.x and jline 2.x/3.x parallel installable, but
> there is still at least one issue.  The current jansi package
> Provides:
>
> jansi = 1.18-5.fc33
> mvn(org.fusesource.jansi:jansi) = 1.18
> mvn(org.fusesource.jansi:jansi-project:pom:) = 1.18
> mvn(org.fusesource.jansi:jansi:pom:) = 1.18
> osgi(org.fusesource.jansi) = 1.18.0
>
> The jansi2 package on COPR Provides:
>
> jansi2 = 2.1.0-1.fc34
> jansi2(x86-64) = 2.1.0-1.fc34
> libjansi.so()(64bit)
> mvn(org.fusesource.jansi:jansi) = 2.1.0
> mvn(org.fusesource.jansi:jansi:pom:) = 2.1.0
> osgi(org.fusesource.jansi) = 2.1.0
>
> There is overlap between the Provides, albeit with different version
> numbers.  How should this be handled?  I guess that packages that need
> version 1.x would have to include "BuildRequires: jansi < 2" and
> "Requires: jansi"?

Duplicate osgi provides are generally not a problem. Duplicate mvn
provides are, but there is a solution to this problem: compat
packages, see https://fedora-java.github.io/howto/latest/#compat_packages
Compat packages have different mvn provides, eg.
mvn(org.fusesource.jansi:jansi:1) = 1.18

> Also, is it better to keep the existing jansi and jline packages, and
> add jansi2 and jline3 packages as I have done on COPR, or would it be
> better to add jansi1 and jline2 packages containing the current
> contents of jansi and jline, and then move jansi and jline to their
> latest versions?

My preference would be to update jansi/jline to latest upstream
versions and introduce compat packages jansi1/jline2 if necessary.