Re: building new tuxguitar with maven

On 2016-01-24 03:15, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
Hi folks,

It's been a while. I am giving a shot to update our tuxguitar package
from 1.2 to the recent 1.3. The new release comes with a build system
switch from ant to maven. I do not have much experience with maven, so
I tried to follow the packaging instructions [1] which I found quite
useful. I managed to build the package from source, but I still have 4
problems:

1- tuxguitar-1.3 has an itext5 dependency, but we only ship itext2 in
Fedora. I tried to disable the tuxguitar-pdf plugin (which uses itext)
by various combinations of %pom_remove_dep, %pom_remove_plugin,
%pom_disable_module. The following takes me a couple steps further

%pom_remove_dep -r com.itextpdf:itextpdf
%pom_remove_dep -r com.itextpdf.tool:xmlworker

but I end up getting:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project tuxguitar-pdf: Could not
resolve dependencies for project
org.herac.tuxguitar:tuxguitar-pdf:jar:1.3.0: The following artifacts
could not be resolved: com.itextpdf:itextpdf:jar:SYSTEM,
com.itextpdf.tool:xmlworker:jar:SYSTEM: Cannot access swt-repo
(https://swt-repo.googlecode.com/svn/repo/) in offline mode and the
artifact com.itextpdf:itextpdf:jar:SYSTEM has not been downloaded from
it before. -> [Help 1]

So, I worked around by patching the pom.xml file and removed the
dependency by hand. I am pretty sure there is a better way of doing
this with the maven macros.

2- When the package is built with %mvn_build and installed with
%mvn_install the jar files get installed into
/usr/share/java/tuxguitar/. But looking at the launcher script, the
application expects the jar files to be in /usr/share/tuxguitar/. Is
there a way to tell maven to install the jar files there instead
(these are application jars, not shared libraries) ?

There is, but since the launcher script doesn't do much more than finding system Java, I would suggest not using upstream launcher script, but generating your own with %jpackage_script, which should look for stuff in the right directories. See: https://fedorahosted.org/released/javapackages/doc/#_generating_application_shell_scripts

In case you still think you need the jar files in /usr/share/tuxguitar, you should still install them to /usr/share/java and put a symlink into /usr/share/tuxguitar. This should do the trick:
%mvn_file ':{*}' %{name}/@1 /usr/share/%{name}/@1
(It uses a glob pattern so you don't need to do it for each artifact in a for loop. ':{*}' is a pattern that captures artifact ID, which can be then referenced in file paths in with @1)

3- I manually moved the jar files into /usr/share/tuxguitar/. The
launcher calls the entry point in tuxguitar.jar. But this jar doesn't
find the other jars, for example the tuxguitar-editor-utils.jar, and
the application doesn't launch. I can add this jar file and the other
15 jar files to the CLASSPATH in the lancher script, but I am not sure
this is the right way. I didn't have to do this with ant. With ant,
the tuxguitar.jar somehow knew about the other jars. How can we fix
this?

As with the previous item, I'd suggest generating the launcher script with %jpackage_script. There you can just specify "tuxguitar" in the classpath argument and it should find the jars.

4- There are a bunch of supplementary files (.desktop file, icons,
mime xmls, the launcher script etc) which are listed in the main
pom.xml file, but %mvn_install doesn't install them. I had to copy
them manually to the $RPM_BUILD_ROOT. Is there a way to do this with
better?

I think those need to be installed manually. (but script generated with %jpackage_script should install itself automatically)

My current work is at
https://oget.fedorapeople.org/tuxguitar/tuxguitar.spec
https://oget.fedorapeople.org/tuxguitar/tuxguitar-1.3.0-0.fc23.src.rpm

Note that I had to remove some SF2, EXE and DLL files from the source
tarball, as their license situations were unclear.

I would be happy if someone knowledgeable with maven could take a look
and give me some clues.

Best,
Orcan

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/released/javapackages/doc/#maven