Re: Eclipse Luna on Fedora 21 and JDK 8 requirement

On 1 Nov 2014, at 16:05, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:

Thus is the answer to that to tell users to have their custom
eclipse.ini pointing at the oracle JDK 7 and then
launch eclipse pointing to the vm ?

Like 'eclipse --launcher.ini <ini.location>'

As described in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini and
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

or is there any known problems with that ?

The problem is that eclipse uses third party libraries (xml-commons, xerces, apache-commons*, jetty, batik, etc.) and many Java projects do not care to set their target bytecode in the build scripts. This results in if some of this projects ends up being rebuild with Java 8 it might start using Java 8 bytecode resulting in some parts of Eclipse not working or even not starting at all. I'm not staying that this is constantly a problem but it is something that has to be monitored and kept track of if we are going to tell users they can try that. And this is something that again no one with interest towards Oracle JDK 7 (my team has zero such interest) has committed to maintain. That's the main reason from my side to not care about Oracle JDK - it needs resources which I can better spend on fixing real issues.

This really aren't about Oracle JDK 7, its about Java 7.

Same issue occurs if you try use a non-oracle jdk 7.

Eclipse on F21 won't be able to start with it because the target is default set to minimum Java 8. If build had set default to java7 bytecode target things
probably would have been better for the enduser, right ?

And yes, I understand that is a due to resource limits but this means users that need to target Java 7 best option is to use Oracle JDK 7 binaries which actually will have the latest fixes since as far as I hear you say openjdk 7 is not being maintained for Fedora 21.

Correct ?

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen