Re: Eclipse Luna on Fedora 21 and JDK 8 requirement

* Christopher <ctubbsii-fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> [2014-10-31 14:55]:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Deepak Bhole <dbhole@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     * Christopher <ctubbsii-fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> [2014-10-31 14:02]:
>
> [snip]
>
>     > There is no issue with -target 1.6; the issue was with strict source
>     > compatibility with 1.6. I can't recall the specifics (it had something to
>     do
>     > with generic type checking, because 1.7's javac can make better
>     inferences),
>     > but that's outside the scope of this issue. The main point, as it relates
>     here,
>     > is that there may not be strict compatibility between javac provided by
>     > different JDKs, even if javac makes a best effort attempt to parse older
>     > source. A more obvious problem is the lack of bootstrap classpaths for
>     older
>     > -source/-target, which is known to be likely to create compiled code that
>     is
>     > not capable of running in an older JVM (this doesn't matter if you're
>     > developing for the latest Fedora, but it matters if you're using the
>     latest
>     > Fedora to develop for other platforms, like RHEL or Android).
>     >

>     Ah, yeah not much we can do (with current setup) where the older rt.jar
>     is needed on bootstrap path :/
>

> [snip]
>
> Well, what we could do is rethink the policy about not packaging currently
> supported JDKs, just because they are expected to not have further updates at
> some future time. That policy's going to bite us anyway, if the pace of Java
> ever reaches a point where a version of Java is released *and* EOL'd during the
> same window (hypothetically, Java 8 is expected to EOL during F22, and Java 9
> is expected to be released and EOL'd during F22; would that mean F22 cannot
> include any Java version?).

Java 8 EOL is tentatively slated for March 2017, which is well after F22
EOL (assuming F22 is released in mid-2015). Furthermore, that is a
tentative date and is contingent on Java 9 being out in early 2016.

In general, Java N will be supported for upto a year after N+1 is out.

> Personally, I like the idea of shipping the latest as default, and the next
> most recent (so long as it is currently supported) as available as an SDK/devel
> package and just stop updating it when there aren't any more upstream updates
> and drop it from the next release.

That is what would have happened had F21 not been delayed. If Fedora
sticks to a 6-month release cycle, we should be able to have one version
where N is the default and N-1 is provided for legacy, followed by
removal of N-1 in subsequent released.

FWIW, we have had Java 8 in Fedora since March 2013 (a stable
pre-release) and we are only now making it the default, almost 2 years
later. Given our finite resources, I don't think we are jumping the gun
here with making 8 the default. If someone in the community wants to
pick up and maintain 7, they are always welcome to do so.

Deepak