Re: Eclipse Luna on Fedora 21 and JDK 8 requirement

* Christopher <ctubbsii-fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> [2014-10-31 11:37]:
> [...]
>             my eyes - no one volunteered to do it. You know it's always a
>             matter of "who will do the work?". I'm pretty sure that if someone
>             jumps in and say "Hey, I'll maintain Java 6, fix problems/adopt
>             Java 6 to changes in the OS if neeeded, help strengthen the
>             switching between JREs, go through the Java projects(shipped in
>             Fedora) and help them properly set their targets in build scripts
>             so builds properly work on Java 6 and etc" there will be no
>             objection to having Java 6. :)
>

>         Fair enough.
>

>                     OpenJDK 7
>                     was removed from F21 because its support will end before
>                     F21 EOL and
>                     we
>                     don't want to ship software not supported by upstream.
>

>                 So for users most stable thing is to use Oracle JDK builds
>                 instead which
>                 are and will stay available ?
>

>             Users can still try to use it but it's something that they have to
>             do on their own - download, extract, set PATH, etc. Just like on
>             every platform with Oracle JVM.
>

>         Yeah, this is similar experience for developers on all other platforms
>         so its expected/assumed.
>

>                 No separate repo with "binaries that is currently supported but
>                 will not
>                 stay supported for all of fedora 21 lifetime" ?
>

>             1. Fedora can not legally redistribute Oracle JDK.
>

>         I know - hence why I would think having a openjdk 7 build would make
>         sense.
>

>             2. Fedora can not distribute something that Fedora developers can
>             not support if there is a problem in it (as it is with Oracle JDK).
>

>         so *any* package that is known to be marked as EOL sometime in the
>         future before the upcoming Fedora EOL's gets removed from that future
>         Fedora release ? Even that Java 7 is still the most used and targeted
>         Java version ?
>

>     Maybe I misunderstand the use-case, but your projects can still target Java
>     7 even if Eclipse is running on Java 8.
>

> That's not entirely true. This only works if a true JDK7 exists on the system.
> While newer JDKs are able to target older runtimes, there are cases where one
> can introduce source-incompatible changes that work in a newer JDK, but not in
> an older JDK. This matters for collaborating on projects where some team
> members are not using the newer JDK to target the older runtime. For instance,
> this happened with JDK7/JDK6 on my team... JDK7 allows certain use of generics
> syntax that properly compiles to JDK6 target, and validates in Eclipse as JDK6
> source-compatible, but the actual JDK6 compiler treats as an error. I had to
> abandon my use of Fedora 20 as a development environment for our project, and
> revert to CentOS6 in order to guarantee I wasn't introducing source that was
> incompatible with JDK6. Not making older JDKs (even stale ones) available is
> likely to discourage Java developers from using Fedora as a development

This is a bug -- did you file it with us? If so, what was the
conclusion? If -target 1.6 was specified, it should have been able to
run it on 6 without issues and any problems encountered are certainly
bugs.

Deepak