Re: Ivy integration

On 08/07/2013 09:47 AM, Will Benton wrote:
> This is interesting; thanks!  How much of an effort would it be to
> generate Ivy metadata for every Java package in Fedora?  (I agree
> that having better metadata in Fedora is the best way forward.)

My guess would be that it can be added to the %add_maven_depmap macro. I
am not sure if official ivy.xml files exist as they do in maven central.
Another argument for auto-conversion is that the ivy.xml files will pick
up any changes or patches made the the pom.xml file automatically.
Otherwise, it's going to require ivy.xml files to be added as a Source
and sometimes patched by hand.

If you want to test how will the automatic conversion works, I would
just create a build.xml and script that will convert all your poms in
your build root and then point sbt to this and see how well it works.

I have been looking at a more general method that could take a
Fedora-style layout and create the proper maven and ivy layout on the
fly, say, in /var. At least this is the best option unless Fedora adopts
this as a goal and adds the support directly to every package.

> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/simple-build-tool/ivy/simple-build-tool/tCNJv5JtV9Q/Xg7_vIIHuiUJ
>
>  I have such a patch but haven't submitted it upstream yet; I will
> after I get a bootstrapped package built.

Thanks. A workaround is partially described there. Apparently, there's a
way to override this behavior with a settings file, which hopefully
means that you only need to bootstrap once. Otherwise, you'd have to go
through a two-step bootstrap process. The first step would use the
normal online build to produce a patched sbt, and then the second step
would bootstrap with the patched sbt.

Upstream apparently wants everyone to require an ``real'' ivy
repository. This will also disallow flat files which is what my main use
case was when I ran across this issue myself. In gradle, there's a
separate resolver built on top of ivy for flat dir layouts. Obviously,
flat dirs are neither a maven nor ivy repo and so it should be expected
that there would be no ivy.xml files present there. In fact, the default
ivy.xml name means that it's ill-suited for a flat layout. At least the
maven pom names are unique.