Re: Ivy integration

On 08/06/2013 08:26 PM, Will Benton wrote:
> Is anyone looking at ways to integrate Ivy more fully into Fedora?  I
> ask because I'm working on packaging sbt[1], which uses Ivy for
> dependency management; my current approach involves patching sbt to
> ignore Ivy descriptor files (so it can build with RPM-managed
> dependencies), but this feels suboptimal and results in some other
> headaches.  So if you're working on Ivy in Fedora (or if you're
> interested in talking about sbt in Fedora), I'd like to hear from
> you!

I haven't actually tested how reliable it is, but the ant task
`ivy:convertpom' can be used to convert a pom.xml file into an ivy.xml
file. This can be done automatically, thus instantly giving every
package ivy support.

I am not convinced that the fact that sbt requires the ivy.xml file to
be present is not a bug. That should be taken up with upstream. For
example, gradle also uses ivy internally, but it doesn't require the
ivy.xml file and so it can be used without patching the resolver code,
so I don't think that it's an issue with ivy itself. Rather, it appears
to be hardcoded in the sbt code with no option to disable it.

One obvious concern is that since dependency information is not
available, the build may fail. But it's a lot easier to add a dependency
or two to the build file than to patch the code, especially since every
major Java build tool (save for ant, and especially sbt) has a horrible
circular dependency on itself and the bootstrap binaries are generally
not able to be patched.