Re: Java SIG meeting agenda for 21st September agenda

On 09:24 Tue 21 Sep     , Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> Excerpts from Dr Andrew John Hughes's message of Mon Sep 20 20:01:20 +0200 2010:
> > On 17:52 Mon 20 Sep     , Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> > > This is a reminder that we are having our second meeting on 21st of
> > > September at 17:00 UTC. The meeting will be held in #fedora-meeting.
> > >
> > > Agenda:
> > >  * Go through Action items from previous meeting[1]
> > >    - New Java package review template [2]
> > >    - Tips & trics/common maven problems and how to fix them [3]
> > >    - Current list of "critical java packages"
> > >    - Current status on Java wiki pages
> > >    - New packaging guidelines
> > >    - Rest of the things
> > >  * Decide about Java wiki GCJ split (bozhidar)
> >
> > What does this mean?  I don't see a reference and I don't recall any previous posts about it.
>
> Come to the meeting and you'll see :-)

I would but unfortunately I can't make it.
Besides, you kind of need to know what's being discussed before you can discuss it :-)

> Ok now seriously... Bozhidar was going through our Java,Java/FAQ
> wiki pages (as agreed on our last SIG meeting) and noticed there are
> a lot of outdated references to GCJ, plus it might be confusing for
> new users. So we were thinking about separating information for GCJ
> (ergo Java 1.5) into a separate wiki page.
>
> Our Java wiki pages are really in need of an update, any help would be
> appreciated. For example I just noticed wrong link to old mailing list
> (already fixed).

That makes sense.  I agree some updates are needed and I've done a few
myself in the past.

I wouldn't take GCJ as being equivalent to Java 1.5.  It already
contains some 1.6 API calls and will gain more in the future.  It's
also missing some 1.5 calls.  What's present tends to be defined by
what's used rather than any specific API definition.  As the TCK
licensing currently prevents GCJ from being tested for conformance to
either 1.5 or 1.6, there's not much point in going strictly down the
route of obeyance to one standard or another.

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net
PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint = F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8